Jerusalem Collage Art
In this activity, create your own cornerstone by collaging images of Jerusalem. We offer instructions for how to create a decoupage effect or a mixed-media collage, but whatever style you choose, enjoy your unique expression of what Jerusalem looks like to you.
Note: For this project you might want a stronger “base” than just regular paper, especially if going for the decoupage effect, because of the amount of glue used.
- Poster board, cardboard, thick cardstock, etc. (for base)
- Tissue paper, construction paper, other decorative papers
- Magazine pictures of Jerusalem, your own pictorial images of Jerusalem etc.
- Glue sticks and/or liquid glue (or Mod Podge), bowls, paintbrushes (foam ones work best!)
- Drawing and collage materials (markers, crayons, colored pencils, yarn, beads, glitter, etc.)
Cut or tear your papers and pictures to whatever shapes you want. Glue them at random to your base, or draw a Jerusalem scene and use the papers to fill it in. Make sure the papers overlap a bit.
For a decoupage effect, pour some liquid glue (or the Mod Podge, which will work best, if you have it) into a bowl and paint it over the top of your papers to seal them.
For a mixed-media collage, feel free to decorate with any drawing materials (markers, crayons, colored pencils, oil pastels, etc) or add yarn, paint, glitter, beads, or any other materials and textures you want.
For full instructions and other ideas of how to create a unique Jerusalem cornerstone, download the full activity PDF.